When to Hire a Forensic Accountant             with David Gralnick

If you’re worried about the money in your divorce, or splitting up assets that you shared during your marriage, you may need a forensic accountant.  Maybe you’re selling a business, or struggling to value your home, or there seems to be more money coming in than going out and things don’t add up. 

When determining value of an asset or business, a forensic accountant will work with the value as of the date of commencement, or the day you file for divorce.  One thing they will look for is “co-mingled” funds.  If you owned a business or fund before a marriage, but have moved monies from that business into joint marital accounts, those funds may have been co-mingled and could now be subject to joint ownership.  

You can hire a forensic accountant independently to follow the money or through an attorney. The advantage of going through the attorney is that the information is then protected by attorney/client privilege and isn’t subject to discovery.

If you’re worried that your ex-spouse is sending money to the Caymans, it’s not as easy as you’d think.  There’s always a money trail, especially in today’s climate where people use credit cards for most transactions.  But a forensic accountant can help you follow the money and ensure that you get your fair distribution.

About the Author Barb & Jo

Through the process of our own divorces, Barb Hazelton and Jo Briggs learned more than they ever needed or wanted to know. Through their friendship, shared experiences, and connections through navigating their own divorces, they created this video series. They've been where you are and they hope Single Process can make it easier for you by connecting you to their resources.