Modifying Your Agreement Post Divorce
with Carole Orland

The courts stamp your agreement, your officially divorced and you head out with girlfriends to get a glass of wine, never to see a lawyer or court again, right? Not so much. Post Judgement and modifications to agreements are so common. In my case, I was so eager to get to the finish line that I conceded or delayed some points just to close it out. Mistake.

But things change, finances, kids’ needs, new relationships. Usually there are provisions that require the exchange of information for a period of time. So, if your former spouse gets a huge bonus, it has to be communicated to you. Maybe you move in with your girlfriend; if there is an economic benefit, that can change your agreement. And if you remarry, that could alter alimony.

Kids expenses are very dynamic. There are child guidelines that dictate how much, based on income and number of children. You can add on for extracurricular activities and medical, and if that changes you can go back and request modification.

Unallocated support means alimony and child support are lumped together for tax benefits. A good agreement will break them out even if they are being paid together. But when a child ages up, that number will change.

A good lawyer should anticipate issues to prevent major arguments post-divorce.

About the Author Barb & Jo

Through the process of our own divorces, Barb Hazelton and Jo Briggs learned more than they ever needed or wanted to know. Through their friendship, shared experiences, and connections through navigating their own divorces, they created this video series. They've been where you are and they hope Single Process can make it easier for you by connecting you to their resources.

barb says

would like to see more on….

Comments are closed